Modeling of Cyber-Physical Systems in IoT Ecosystems
CPS/IoT Ecosystem is a joint initiative under “Hochschulraum-Strukturmittel (HRSM)” national funding platform administered by Austrian Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy. Cyber-physical systems (CPS) is a concept that unifies all computer driven systems interacting closely with their physical environment. Internet-of-things (IoT) is a union of devices and technologies that provide universal interconnection mechanisms between physical and digital world. These two concepts stand in a close relation and in many cases are part of the same system. Both fields offer a number of interesting challenges from a metamodeling perspective.
The major tasks of the CPS/IoT project in general are:
- Evaluate enabling state-of-the-art technologies for CPS/IoT,
- Build industrial and educational demonstration platforms,
- Develop smart applications for buildings, mobility, farming, production.
Within this research, the project at hand will focus on realizing demonstration cases for CPS/IoT. Students interested in this project can access the CPS (robotics, autonomous vehicles etc.) and define metamodels that are suitable of communicating with the CPS devices.
Further Reading (Excerpt)
- Isakovic, H., Ratasich, D., Hirsch, C., Platzer, M., Wally, B., Rausch, T., … & Grosu, R. (2018). CPS/IoT Ecosystem: A platform for research and education. In Cyber Physical Systems. Model-Based Design (pp. 206-213). Springer, Cham.
- Haris, I., Fasching, A., Punzenberger, L., & Grosu, R. (2019). CPS/IoT Ecosystem: Indoor Vertical Farming System. In 2019 IEEE 23rd International Symposium on Consumer Technologies (ISCT) (pp. 47-52). IEEE.
- Walch, M., & Karagiannis, D. (2019). How to connect design thinking and cyber-physical systems: the s* IoT conceptual modelling approach. In Proceedings of the 52nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.